Search This Blog

Friday 6 June 2014

June 6: A healthy lifestyle

This one comes with a story.

My first year in Saskatoon (after moving back), I continued to gain weight. I'm not sure why, I don't think I realised it was happening.

The day I found out was two days before my work Christmas party when I decided to try on my dresses to see which one I looked best in. I was that cocky. Sadly, I quickly found out that, not only did none of them look good on me, but none of them fit me. That's when I realised my weight was a bit out of control. I walked to work, but that was basically the only exercise I'd been getting. I ate a lot of crap. It was the highest my weight has ever been at.

After Cameron died, I lost some weight. Some of it was by accident, and from not taking proper care of myself. To be blunt, I wasn't eating because I was sad. Finally, I noticed I had lost weight, and instead of continuing with the unhealthy pattern of not eating, and instead of reverting back to my bad eating patterns, I decided to make healthy choices. I started counting calories and choosing healthy foods. I also started going to the gym. I was consistent for quite a while actually.

I stopped going to the gym about a month after meeting C. Not because of him, but because I was running out of time to do it (that is an excuse, I know), and because I was also moving farther away from my convenient free gym.

Luckily, I kept up with the healthy eating, for the most part. So, while I've gained a little bit of my winter weight, for the most part, I've kept most of it off.

Things are changing again because I'm now (and again) walking to work every day WHILE eating healthy. And I've also made a promise to myself that I'll start saying no to the sweets delivered to my work. (If I write it here, it's more likely to stay true). 

So ... the healthy lifestyle will hopefully not only continue, but improve. I'll always have to work on it. I haven't decided yet if I'm going back to counting calories, but one small step at a time.

I'm also doing a 30 day challenge of exercises. I'm on day five today. Day five includes 75 squats, plus all the rest. I'm pretty proud of myself so far. This is definitely a one day at a time type commitment though.
 
So my gratitude for today is that I'm healthy, and I can continue being healthy as a choice.
 
 
Gratitude

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment